comparative timeline 1966-69
Daily Nebraskan, February 21, 1966 1
Adele's bar, Euclid Avenue, Cleveland 2
The Diggers, San Francisco 3
- Feb 17-20 - Allen Ginsberg visits University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- Mar 11 - Timothy Leary sentenced to 30 years in prison for marijuana possession
- May 16 - Double album "Blonde on Blonde" released, Bob Dylan
- Jun 6 - EP "Section 43", Country Joe & The Fish
- Jun - d. a. levy publishes "Paracutes" by Randy Rhody
- Jun 27 - Debut album "Freak Out!", The Mothers of Invention
- Jul 1 - Poetry reading at The Gate, Cleveland
- Jul 8 - "Berkeley Barb" reports on Kerista House, 47 38th St, Oakland
- Jul 20 - Movie "The Wild Angels" released
- Aug 1 - Charles Whitman, Texas Tower, kills 17, injures 31
- Aug 23 - Big Brother and the Holding Company at Mother Blues, Chicago, 4 weeks
- Sep - Debut album "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off"
- Sep 11 - The Rolling Stones 4th appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show
- Sep 23 - Cleveland "Plain Dealer" reports poetry reading at The Gate: PDF
- Oct 6 - LSD becomes illegal in California
- Oct 6 - The Love Pageant Rally in Golden Gate Park Panhandle
- Oct 10 - Single "Good Vibrations" released, Beach Boys
- Oct 17 - Debut album "The 13th Floor Elevators"
- Nov - Album "Da Capo" released, Love (Arthur Lee)
- Nov 24 - Thanksgiving at Diggers store on Page Street
- Nov 30 - "SF Chronicle" front page photo of Diggers, Emmett Grogan
- Dec - "Hells Angels" by Hunter S. Thompson published.
- 382,000 drafted by year end, half sent to Vietnam
- Jan 14 - San Francisco Human Be-In
- Jan - Debut albums The Doors, The Stone Poneys
- Mar - Debut album Grateful Dead
- Mar - Central Park Easter Be-In
- Jun - Album "Sgt. Pepper", Beatles
- Jun 1 - Grateful Dead at Tompkins Square Park bandshell
- Jun 16-18 - Monterey Pop
- Jun 28 - DOM becomes Electric Circus, St Marks Place
- Aug - Debut album "Big Brother & the Holding Company"
- Aug 23 - Debut album "Are You Experienced", The Jimi Hendrix Experience
- Summer - Debut album "Vanilla Fudge"
- Oct 21 - March on the Pentagon
- 228,000 drafted by year end
- Jan - Debut album Blue Cheer
- Mar 6 - Movie "Psych-Out" released
- Mar 8 - First Fillmore East concert
- Apr 4 - Martin Luther King Jr assassinated
- Jun 6 - Bobby Kennedy assassinated
- Aug - Congress of Wonders at Straight Theater
- Date unkown - Tiny Tim sings "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" on Laugh-In
- Aug 26-29 - Democratic Convention
- Nov 24 - d. a. levy suicide
- 296,000 drafted by year end
- Jul - Doubleday publishes "The Writing on the Wall"
- Jul 20, 1969 - First lunar landing
- Aug 8-9 - Manson murders
- Aug 15-18 - Woodstock Festival at Bethel, NY
- Dec 1 - First birthday lottery for the draft
- Dec 6 - Altamont Speedway concert, Rolling Stones
- 283,000 drafted by year end
Photo credits -
1. The Daily Nebraskan (Lincoln, Neb.), 21 Feb. 1966. Nebraska Newspapers. Center for Digital Research in the Humanities, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. http://nebnewspapers.unl.edu/lccn/sn96080312/1966-02-21/ed-1/seq-4/
. Image provided by: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries, Lincoln, NE.
2. Adele's Bar, from "Remembering Adele's", June 24, 2018.
3. San Francisco Chronicle, March 10, 2017. Photo: © Jim Marshall Photography LLC